Twenty years of research in Biskra University
for Labyrinths, Piano Key Weirs
and associated Fuse plugs
Ahmed Ouamane, Mohamed Khider
University of BISKRA – Algeria-
Laboratory of Hydraulic Planning and Environment
Conclusion: Which future?
It seems to be a great future for PK-Weirs, labyrinths and fuse plugs for 3 reasons:
• The huge improvement provided by these solutions compared to more traditional spillways
• The increasing discharge of spillways foreseen in the future
• The risk of gates jamming for controlled spillways.
This future may apply as well to very large and small spillways, existing of futures ones.
• Most or all of the floods discharge is done by a single spillway for most existing dams. In the future it will be usually safer and cost effective to associate PK-Weirs with gates or fuse plugs. However this may be wrongly prevented by traditional design criteria or even by official rules.
• For low dams with huge discharge, PK-Weirs may be cost effective and possibly associated with gates (as in Vietnam). But if there is no rock as foundation, it may be less expensive for long dams to discharge a small nappe depth along hundreds meters of lined embankment.
Veuillez trouver ci-joint ce plein article!
Please find the full article enclosed!