Taipei Declaration on
The rapid social progress and advancements in science and technology have enhanced man’s abilities to improve our quality of life. However, these abilities have not in all cases been used in harmony with the environment. In fact, man’s continuous exploitation of the earth’s resources is degrading our environment and ecosystem. This outcome, together with the impacts of climate change, is worsening in a way that requires us to take immediate action for a sustainable future.
On behalf of the Organizing Board of the 15th ACECC Executive Meeting,
Prof. Dr. Luh-Maan Chang delivered the Declaration
Asia is the largest continent and has approximately 60% of world population. Currently, Asia generates around US$18 trillion GDP. Abundant human and natural resources, improved manufacturing ability, and huge markets have made Asia the fastest growing economy on earth. Nevertheless, this fast growth places excessive demand on natural resources and strains the earth’s environment and ecosystem. In addition, Asia is constantly experiencing floods, landslides, air and water pollution, earthquakes, tsunamis, typhoons and man-made disasters. With these facts, having sustainable development in Asia is necessary.
Heads of Delegations at the Signing Ceremony of the Declaration
Civil Engineers shall be ethical, compassionate, and knowledgeable of the vision of sustainability that will lead humanity and the environment to coexist harmoniously. Civil Engineers must play an active role in balancing Asian infrastructure needs and protecting our environment. Civil Engineers must put forward a proposal for countermeasures against imminent climate change due to global warming and the consequential disasters. Moreover, Civil Engineers must address the critical issues of humanity and social systems, such as caring for the disadvantaged, developing human resources, providing clean water and air, food and shelter for all, and providing protection from natural and man-made hazards.
Therefore, we, representatives of our respective civil engineering organizations, commit to improve the quality of life through use, innovation and discovery of appropriate technologies to meet the needs of diverse Asian populations and cultures. We also commit to work together for protecting and enhancing the environment, inspiring optimism, and creating a sustainable Asia as part of a sustainable world.
In keeping with the foregoing commitments, we hereby agree to take the following actions:
- Develop short and long term strategies for achieving sustainable development.
- Continue to improve the quality of life, and at the same time, protect and enhance our environment and ecosystem.
- Conserve natural resources and use renewable materials.
- Reduce the causes of global warming while mitigating and adapting the effects of climate change.
- Encourage participation in the formulation and implementation of public policies and promote a transparent system of good governance.
- Develop capacity building and transfer of knowledge of environmentally-friendly technologies.
- Extend the service life of newly constructed infrastructure and advance renewable technologies for existing infrastructure and facilities.
- Ensure the preservation of cultural values and heritage in the pursuit of solutions.
- Encourage broad involvement in education and in research and development.
- Develop the means for protecting against and mitigating the impacts of disasters and hazards.