Mr. Kenichi Horikoshi’s & Mr. Masao Konno’s* Letter
“The Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE)holds a special forum on June 27, 2007 in Taipei, on the title of "Harmonization of design codes in the Asian Region".
Code harmonization in the Asian region may be one of the most important issues for the sustainable development of Asian infrastructures. Wethink this forum can surely play an important role for the future collaboration work towards the code harmonization.
Your cooperation is highly appreciated.
Secretary General of Committee on ACECC, JSCE
Secretary of Committee on ACECC, JSCE
Consulting Engineers, Nippon Koei Co.,Ltd.
2304 Inarihara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 300-1259,JAPAN
Tentative Plan of ACECC Special Forum 3
“Harmonization of Design Codes in the Asian Region”
at the 4th CECAR
Japan Society of Civil Engineers
April 27, 2007
Based on the results of the ACECC Workshop which was held on November 4, 2006 in Taipei:
1) To discuss the necessity toward the harmonization of design code in the Asian Region and identify the problems.
2) To look for the possibility of design code that shall be formulated based on the common recognition in the Asian Region where natural conditions and disaster conditions are similar.
3) To share the information concerning the design code formulation with a global perspective beyond the bounds of countries or research fields.
2. Chair Yusuke HONJO (Professor, Gifu University)
3. Date, Time June 27(Wed), 2007 9:00-11:00 (120 minutes)
4. Room Room 103
Taipei International Convention Center (TICC)
1, Hsin-Yin Road, Sec. 5, Taipei, 110, Taiwan
5. Program (tentative)
1) Introduction of the efforts toward harmonization of design code by ACECC
(10 minutes, ACECC)
Speaker: Dr. Kenichi Horikoshi (Secretary General, Committee on ACECC, JSCE)
Positioning of Special Forum at the 4th CECAR.
The past activities of ACECC. (Information sharing on the website, ACECC workshops, etc.)
The necessity of design code harmonization and the related issues
2) Necessity of design code harmonization and expectation from the viewpoint of a practical engineer (20 minutes, JSCE)
Speaker: Mr. Hiroshi Shimizu (CTI Engineering International Co., Ltd.)
Necessity of design code harmonization and expectation from the viewpoint of a working engineer who is engaged in consulting business in a foreign country (with actual examples, if possible).
3) Introduction of actual cases in formulation of Asian code (20 minutes, KSCE)
Speaker: Prof. Ha-Won Song (Yonsei University)
Introduction of the Asian Concrete Model Code and our Contribution to an ISO Code
What is the secret of the success in the concrete field? Can it be applied to other fields?
4) Cooperative structure toward code harmonization in the geotechnical field (20 minutes, by CICHE)
Speaker: Dr. Chung-Tien Chin (Moh and Associates, Inc.)
International expansion of Geo-Code 21
New movement toward design code unification in geotechnical field.
5) Reports from countries where codes are now being developed.
Expectation, requests and opinions toward design code harmonization from the standpoints of countries where infrastructure is now rapidly being developed.
6) Summaries & Discussions (30 minutes, by ACECC)
Idealized vision in the future.
Introduction of Asian opinions into international standards such as ISO.
Activities in each field should be a basis, but the information should be visible for each other.
Necessity of education.
How the ACECC future activity should be.
Collection of code information of each member and the information disclosure (on the website)
Provision of a site for information exchange and support for establishing human network.
Drawing up a draft of terminology to be used as a basis of design in order to lubricate communication among engineers.
Proposal of the creation of a new TC
4th CECAR http://www.elitepco.com.tw/4cecar/